What is an Elementary School Counselor?
School Counselors Support Students by Providing:
Short-Term Individual Counseling
Short-Term Small Group Counseling
Referrals to Outside Agencies
Classroom Guidance Lessons
School Wide Social /Emotional Programs
Parent /Teacher Consultation
Middle School Application / Scheduling
How does a student get to see the counselor?
- Student may ask to go to the counselor’s office to make an appointment or put a note under her door
- Teacher or principal can send him or her with a pass
- Mom, Dad, Grandparents or another care providers can request services
- A school friend may invite/ refer him or her for a special visit
What might a student do in the counselor’s office?
- Talk about concerns that are important to him/ her
- Use puppets/ toys to help express feelings and problems
- Talk about feelings
- Work on a plan to reach a academic or behavioral goal
- Read stories that help students learn and understand more about themselves/ situations
- Go to a safe place to calm down when feeling upset
- Play games to learn ways to relate to others
- Participate in group activities
- Role Play conflict resolution scenarios