Programs & Services for Parents of English Language Learners
As a requirement under Title III funding, the Harrisburg School District provides programs and services directed toward parents of English Language Learners. These programs and services enable parents and guardians to further support the education of their children. Through targeted language based programs, parents develop literacy skills to enhance communication between home and school.
- Math & Reading Strategies
- Writing Workshops
- Parenting Classes
- Finance Classes
- Computer Classes
- Adult ESL Classes
- GED Preparation
- Parent Support for school and district meetings
- Linking Parents & Community Services
- Life Skills
- American School’s Policies and Procedures
- Others as needed
Many of our families require support in their native language. Through Language Line Services©, we offer over the phone interpretation in more than 170 languages.
If you are in need of interpretation services for parent meetings, please contact your school secretary.
- Build relationships with local community partners and work collaboratively to provide resources to our second language families.
- Provide leadership and training to the ESL Parent Advisory Team.
- Offer free classes and workshops that will expand the acculturation skills of our second language families.
- Offer classes or informational meetings that will help second language parents better understand the curriculum and support their student.
- Offer informational meetings to help parents understand processes, procedures, protocols and programs across the district.
- Offer second language families an interpreter at parent meetings, IEPs and other events.