Dear Rowland Parents/Guardians and Students,
Welcome back to Rowland Academy for the 2023-2024 school year! We hope you had a wonderful and restful summer and are excited to embark on this new academic journey with us. Whether you are returning students or new to our school community, we are thrilled to have you with us and look forward to a year filled with growth, learning, and success.
I am thrilled to introduce our new Assistant Principal, Pia Peterson, who will be joining our Rowland family this year. She is joined by Assistant Principal, Chad Gerard who joined us in February 2023. We are excited to be working with them this year. Mrs. Peterson comes to us with an extensive background in education having taught 14 years as a middle school Spanish and French teacher, served as Dean of Students and Assistant Principal at Camp Curtain Academy, as well as filling the role of Assistant Principal for Ben Franklin, Melrose, and John Harris. Mr. Gerard comes to us via Indiana and has teaching experience there, New Jersey, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. He served as a high school social studies teacher, alternative education supervisor, and department chair.
At Rowland Academy, we are committed to fostering an environment that promotes academic excellence, personal development, and a sense of belonging for every student. Our dedicated team of educators and staff is eager to guide and support your child throughout their middle school experience, ensuring that they have every opportunity to reach their full potential.
Here are some important points to note as we start the school year:
- School Schedule: The first day of school is on August 28, 2023. School will begin at 8:30 and end at 3:30. We are no longer operating in a condensed schedule. Students should arrive at school on time to make the most of their learning experience.
- Dress Code: The district has adopted a new dress code policy. It is located on both the school and district webpages. Parents and scholars should review the policy to ensure compliance.
- Curriculum and Learning: Our curriculum is designed to challenge and inspire students, fostering critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills. We encourage active participation in class discussions and extracurricular activities to enhance the overall learning experience.
- Communication: We believe open communication between parents, students, and teachers is essential for a successful educational journey. Parents are encouraged to stay informed through regular updates from teachers, school newsletters, and our school website.
- Student Support: We have a robust support system in place to assist students in their academic, social, and emotional development. Our counseling services are available for any student who may need guidance or assistance.
- Code of Conduct: We expect all students to adhere to our school’s code of conduct, promoting respect, kindness, and inclusivity. Together, we can create a safe and nurturing environment for everyone.
- Parent Involvement: Parents are valuable partners in their child’s education. We encourage your active involvement in school events, parent-teacher conferences, and Family Engagement Events.
As we embark on this exciting journey together, we want to assure you that the safety and well-being of our students are of utmost importance. We believe in the potential of each student, and with our collective effort and support, we are confident that they will thrive and succeed in their middle school years.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to a fantastic year ahead!
Melissa Floyd, Principal
Headlines & Features
***IMPORTANT!!!!***Click-READ Full Letter-Official Dress Code and Badging System 2023_2024SY_English_Spanish
Updated Dress Code Policy for 2023-24
Every Wednesday, scholars will dismiss at 1:30. This will allow our staff the opportunity to receive professional development that will enrich the learning experience. Please make any necessary arrangements to make sure your scholar is picked up on time. Feel free to contact the main office with questions.