Dear Marshall Math Science Academy Family,
Welcome back to school!
Parents, guardians, and caregivers who drive on campus and in neighborhoods near school can plan an important role in enhancing safety near schools by following safe driving practices. At arrival/drop-off and dismissal/pick-up times, drivers are often in a hurry and/or distracted, which can lead to unsafe conditions for students and others walking, bicycling, and driving in the area.
Driving tips to help keep our students and pedestrians safe:
- Slow down and follow all traffic laws and speed limits, both in school zones and in neighborhoods surrounding the school.
- Comply with local school drop-off and pick-up procedures for the safety of all children accessing the school.
- Avoid double parking or stopping on crosswalks to let children out of the car. Double parking will block visibility for other children and other motorists. Visibility is further reduced during the rain and fog seasons when condensation forms on car windows.
- Avoid loading or unloading children at locations across the street from the school. This forces children to unnecessarily cross busy streets—often mid-block rather than at a crosswalk.
- Prepare to stop for a school bus when overhead yellow lights are flashing. Drive with caution when you see yellow hazard warning lights are flashing on a moving or stopped bus.
- Stop for a school bus with its red overhead lights flashing, regardless of the direction from which the driver is approaching. Drivers must not proceed until the school bus resumes motion and the red lights stop flashing, or until signaled by the school bus driver to proceed.
- Watch for children walking or bicycling (both on the road and the sidewalk) in areas near a school.
- Watch for children playing and gathering near bus stops. Watch for children arriving late for the bus, who may run into the street without looking for traffic.
- Watch for children walking or biking to school when backing up (out of a driveway or leaving a garage).
Thank you for partnering with Marshall Math Science Academy and the Harrisburg School District to make traffic safety a top priority for our students and pedestrians.
Mr. Ryan Jones, Principal
Headlines & Features
August 23, 2022
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM School Board Meeting
August 24, 2022
August 25, 2022
The beginning of the school year is rapidly approaching! This letter is to provide you with important information that will assist in preparing for the new school year.
Student Start Date: Monday, August 30, 2020
School Day: 8:30am-3:30pm
Homeroom Period: 8:30am-8:55am (Students must attend homeroom to be counted for attendance.)
This year we will be opening our building before the start of school to reacclimate our students and our families to building, staff, and program. Here are some important dates and events to look for.
MMSA Special Education Bridge Program: August 16th-19th from 8:00am-11:00am
This year we will begin previewing with our special education students what our program is going to look like for the start of the 2021-2022 school year.
Building Walkthrough: August 26th 8:00am-5:00pm
On August 26th we are opening our building all day to our students and their families. This is an opprotunity to walkthrough and see where all our your classes might be and to ask any questions of the building administrators and office staff.
New Student Orientation: August 26th 5:00pm-6:00pm
That evening we will host on New Student Orientation in the Auditorium. We will be covering all the information our new students, and their families, need to know for a success start to our school year. This year all students and their families are invited to attend if they feel they might need a refresher before the first day of school.
Student Scheuldes Released: On August 2nd we will be releasing our student schedules. they will be available first online through Home Access and will be mailed out starting that week.
Laptops: Please have your student bring their laptop with them to the first day of school fully charged. We will have IT on hand to exchange any older models and to troubleshoot any issues.
Uniforms: Students at MMSA will be required to wear the Harrisburg School District Uniform.
We know you must have a lot of questions and we want you to feel free to reach out to us when you need to. If you would like to speak to me directly my office hours for parents are every week day from 8:00am-9:00am or by appointment. I can be reached by:
Zoom: By appointment Only